The police now claim that the dark haired man was almost certainly an innocent holidaymaker picking up his two-year-old daughter from a night crèche at the Ocean Club complex.
"Their testimony is credible, but given the lack of light in the area, they can't identify the man who was carrying the child."
The Smiths' Sighting - McCann Files
Detective Chief Inspector Andy Redwood was the policeman in charge of the botched Jill Dando inquiry.
Men seen at the complex where Madeleine was staying. MADELEINE MCCANN; BELLIRAJ; BIN LADEN; AND THE POLICE
Burglaries in Praia da Luz increased four-fold in the four months before Madeleine disappeared.
Age progression image, showing Madeleine aged 9
A year earlier in the same week of Madeleine’s disappearance, a man broke into a flat where two young children were sleeping alone.
The man, described as skinny with dark hair, picked up a camera case and peered into one of the travel cots, but he was disturbed by the child’s screams and left empty-handed.
Mr Redwood said he was struck by the similarities in the break-in through a patio door. He suggested that a gang who knew the area may have been watching the McCann family.
Read more: http://www.dailymail.
Kate's doctor Alan Farthing and the murdered BBC presenter Jill Dando
Alan Farthing was part of the medical team responsible for the birth of Kate and William's new baby.
Alan Farthing was the fiance of the BBC TV presenter Jill Dando who was murdered.
Cliff Richard was a close friend and confidante of Jill Dando.
Savile and William's mother Diana.
Jill Dando's BBC colleague Nick Ross is married to Sarah Caplan the cousin of Jimmy Savile's friend Esther Rantzen.
Caplan and Rantzen founded the controversial charity called Childline.
There has been speculation that the murder of Jill Dando is linked to "a VIP paedophile ring which was operating within the BBC and in Elm Guest House and various children's homes."
• He states that the child was female, about four years of age as she was similar to his granddaughter of the same age. It was a child of normal complexion, about a metre in height. The child has blonde medium-hued hair, without being very light. Her skin was very white, typical of a Brit. He did not look at her eyes. As she was asleep and her eyelids were closed.
• She was wearing light-coloured pyjamas. He cannot state with certainty the colour. She was not covered by any other cover or sheet. He cannot confirm whether she was barefoot but in his group, they spoke about the child having no cover on her feet.
• Urged, he states that the individual did not appear to be a tourist. He cannot explain this further. It was simply his perception given the individual's clothing. He states that the individual carried the child in his arms, with her head laying on the individual's shoulders to the right of the deponent. He adds that he did not hold the child in a comfortable position.
• Having already seen various photographs of MADELEINE alongside her images on television, states that she may have been the child he saw. He cannot state this as fact but is convinced that it could have been MADELEINE. Indeed, this is the opinion of his family.
• Questioned, says that the individual did not speak nor did the child as she was in a deep sleep.
Above is the man who appeared to be watching Madeleine's apartment, the day before she vanished.
It is based on the account of a British woman who was on holiday.
Michel Lelievre of the Dutroux child kidnapping gang
She saw the man twice in the days before Madeleine disappeared.
On 29 April the unnamed tourist was out with her daughter when she spotted him "acting suspiciously" in the street.
Then three days later she saw the man again outside the McCanns' holiday flat.
'Very ugly' man is new Madeleine suspect
www.independent.co.uk 7 May 2009