Sunday, April 26, 2009
Amnesty tells us some of the bad things about Obama
Amnesty chief Kate Allen, on 26 April 2009, tells us some of the bad things about Obama
Amnesty chief: At the rate Obama is going, it will take us 65 years to close Guantanamo
According to Kate Allen:
1. More troops are being sent to Afghanistan.
2. Apart from Binyam Mohamed, not a single prisoner has been released from Guantanamo since Obama took office.
3. A Boeing subsidiary company illegally flew illegally detained people between prisons, as part of the CIA's 'extraordinary rendition' programme.
Former victims have tried to bring the Boeing company to book.
The Obama government has blocked all their attempts.
4. In April 2009, White House lawyers sought to stop more than 500 prisoners held at the US-run Bagram prison in Afghanistan from being able to challenge their indefinite detention - detention without charges or trials.
Several inmates have died in custody, apparently after sustained torture.
5. The danger now is of quiet reversal to Bush-era behaviour.