Obama may, or may not, keep Robert Gates as Defense Secretary.
Gates was Deputy Director of the CIA from April 1986 to March 1989, and Director of the CIA from 1991 to 1993.
1. Reportedly, Robert Gates, while working for the CIA, helped plan the 1980 October Surprise which helped Reagan into power.
Reportedly, in 1993:
The Russian government sent an intelligence report to a House investigative task force stating that Gates had participated in secret contacts with Iranian officials in 1980 to delay release of 52 U.S. hostages then held in Iran, a move that undercut President Carter. (Consortiumnews.com)
Reportedly, Gates and Bush Senior took part in a secret meeting with Iran's Hashemi Rafsanjani in Paris in October 1980. (Cached)
Reportedly, Gates was involved in the policy of selling weapons to Iran. (Cached)
Iran-Contra was about weapons and drugs. (Robert Gates: CIA Drug Trafficking CoverUp Man)
2. Robert Gates's name has been linked to the 1988 Lockerbie Bomb.
When Pan Am flight 103 came down over Lockerbie, one of those killed was Major Charles McKee.
Reportedly, McKee knew too much about Operation Ringwind, which, reportedly, was an operation linked to the 1980 October Surprise.
(Reportedly, McKee had also collected evidence of CIA drug smuggling, and was travelling on PanAm103 with his evidence).
"According to Rodney Stich, Robert Hunt, former Navy SEAL commander and deep-cover CIA/ONI operative, described to him a CIA assassination squad called Operation Ringwind.
"This operation, according to Hunt, was under the control of then-Deputy Director of the CIA Robert Gates.
'''They call it Operation Ringwind, formed in early 1981.
"It was strictly to take care of all participants in October Surprise until they decide to shut the operation down.
"And that could be tomorrow morning, or ten years from now. Whoever they think is involved.'''
Bush administration’s Trojan Horse gift to America and the ...
Operation "Mount Rushmore" and "Operation Ringwind"
'Corrupt CIA officials, allowed the bombing of Pan Am 103 to proceed, because Charles McKee knew too much about "Operation Ringwind"'
Mother Tells All About White House Sex Slave Ring And Son's Kidnapping / October surprise conspiracy theory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Gates was on the staff of the National Security Council when the Shah of Iran was toppled in 1979, reportedly by the CIA and MI6. (The Shah of Iran was toppled by the CIA and MI6? )
3. On 16 November 2008, Robert Parry wrote about The danger of keeping Robert Gates
From this we learn:
1. In the book, Failure of Intelligence: The Decline and Fall of the CIA, former CIA analyst Melvin A. Goodman claims Gates was the person behind the idea of twisting intelligence reports to fit certain political aims.
2. Reportedly Gates, in order to justify greater military spending, greatly exaggerated the threat from the USSR, hiding the fact that the USSR was weak militarily and economically.
Reportedly, Gates tried to undermine efforts to increase friendship with the USSR.