1. James Madison in a letter to Thomas Jefferson (24 October 1787) , recommends that governments follow a policy of 'divide and rule'.
2. Will the CIA and its friends use a policy of 'divide and rule' to frustrate the independence movement in Scotland?
3. In Israel-Palestine, Israel has weakened the Palestinians by creating serious divisions.
The main purpose of the Israeli-created Hamas appears to be to keep the Palestinians weak and divided.
4. In Iraq, the USA has weakened the resistance movement by provoking strife between Shias from Sunnis.
5. In Bolivia, the CIA appears to be trying to weaken President Morales by creating divisions between regions and races.
In Bolivia ( POLITICS-BOLIVIA: It’s All about the Gas Revenues), gas revenues have risen from 188 million dollars in 2001 to 1.57 billion dollars in 2007.
President Morales forced foreign oil companies to renegotiate the terms of their contracts, thus increasing the royalties and taxes paid by the companies.
The right-wing opposition wants the relatively wealthy oil producing provinces in the East of Bolivia to get more of this money. The population of eastern Bolivia tends to be of mainly Spanish and mixed-race descent.
President Morales wants more of this money to go towards a pension fund for the elderly. Nearly 60% of elderly people in Bolivia live on less than one dollar a day.
6. Allan Massie, in The Scotsman 26 July 2008, (Allan Massie - Who can tell their Left from their Right in ... ) asks if we are going to see more of a Left-Right division in Scotland.
And what about creating divisions between:
Catholics and Protestants
Moslems and Christians
East Coast and West Coast
Highland and Lowlands...
Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, Turkey...Divide and Rule